Elks Foundation Legacy Award
Through its three scholarship programs, the Elks National Foundation awards more than $3.74 million a year in college scholarships.
Legacy Awards are $4,000 scholarships ($1,000 per year for four years). The Foundation will offer a total of up to 250 awards.
Following are answers to common questions about the Elks National Foundation's ENF Legacy Awards scholarship contest.
Who is Eligible?
- Any child or grandchild (or step-child, step-grandchild, or legal ward) of a living Elk who joined the order on or before April 1, 2013, or a charter member of a Lodge that was instituted on or after April 1, 2013, is eligible to apply. The Elk must also be a paid-up member through March 31, 2017. Great-grandchildren are not eligible.
- The applicant must be a high school senior.
- The applicant must apply online only. Click here to start a 2017 Legacy Awards application online.
- If the applicant's parent and grandparent are both Elk members, the applicant must apply through the parent's Elks Lodge.
- Students may applyfor more than one ENF scholarship; however, they may win only one. In cases where the student qualifies for more than one, we will award the scholarship with the greater value.
- Legacy Awards may only be applied to accredited US American schools, colleges or universities. (Note: Applicants from Guam, Panama, Puerto Rico and the Philippines may apply Legacy Awards toward schools, colleges or universities in their respective homes.)
- Applicants must take the Scholastic Aptitude Test or the American College Test by December 31, 2016.
How Do I Apply, and What Are the Deadlines? Applications open September 1, 2017
Eligible students should apply in the following manner:
- The student must complete and submit the ONLINE application by 12:00 p.m. (noon) Central Time on the January 31, 2017, deadline.
- The Elk sponsor’s membership will be verified through the BPOE Grand Lodge headquarters.
- When a student registers to complete the online application, both the applicant and Lodge Secretary will be notified by email.
- If you have questions about your online Legacy Awards application, visit our Legacy Awards FAQ page.
- Upon receipt of the application, the applicant will receive a notification that the application was received. Winners will be announced in late April 2017.
Note: Because the contest begins in one Lodge year and the winners are announced in the next, a Legacy Award could go to the child or grandchild of a lapsed member. An applicant's Elk parent or grandparent must be a paid-up member in good standing at the time of application, but if the Elk chooses not to renew membership, that decision will not affect the outcome of the Legacy Awards contest.